Re: GNUstep directory in userhome

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory in userhome
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 07:01:14 +0000

On Tuesday, March 6, 2001, at 06:17 AM, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

> Wouldn't it be more more useful to use one system for all, LDAP ?

My initial reaction was 'good idea' ... then I thought about it a bit,
checked out some LDAP references on the web...

For all that the 'L' stands for 'lightweight', LDAP support would actually
be very heavyweight in comparison to existing NSUserDefaults code, and I can't
actually see what we would gain ... we would be using a small subset of LDAP
capabilities, and I think that having to have an LDAP server running in order
to user the defaults system would be a pain.  In fact, configuration issues
like deciding which LDAP server to connect to are generally addressed by setting
values in the user defaults :-)

My inclination is to say that NSUserDefaults should be based upon the simplest
possible code, with the fewest possible external dependencies.  It needs to be
extremely reliable because if it goes wrong it can really screw everything up.