Re: "toll-free bridging"

From: Frederic Stark
Subject: Re: "toll-free bridging"
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:18:46 +0100

> At 2:23 PM +0100 3/16/01, Frederic Stark wrote:
> > > Can GNUStep use Apple's "Core Foundation"?
> >
> >I don't think so. See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html> for
> >details.
>
> Just because Core Foundation is licensed under the APSL doesn't
mean you can't
> link against it. The restriction is the other way around. You can
use APSL code as
> you wish, just don't expect all changes you make (if any) to be
rolled back into
> Darwin.

Uh ? What are you talking about ? Why should I ever expect any
change I would make beeing rolled back into anything under any
license ?

> As far as the FSF, their line is if it isn't GNU it's BAD. They're
very political.

Brutal answer:

The first three letters of GNUstep are 'GNU'. All copyright on
GNUstep code is assigned to the FSF. So, if FSF says 'avoid APSL
code', I read that as 'avoid APSL code'. It doesn't matter if it is
political, or if rms flipped a coin. The result is 'avoid APSL code'.

You original, question was:

> Can GNUStep use Apple's "Core Foundation"?

As CF is APSL, GNUstep is FSF, and FSF said 'avoid APSL code', I
think that the answer is NO.

Less brutal answer:

As you may discover by reading
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html> there is still one big
limitation imposed by the APSL license that make impractical to take
code from it for use in the GNU project.

Cheers,

--fred