Re: Some problems compiling gstep-gui-0.6.7

From: Yann Le Guen
Subject: Re: Some problems compiling gstep-gui-0.6.7
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:50:51 +0100

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> Sounds like you need to configure gnustep-base using
>   --with-libiconv-library=PATH
> to specify where the iconv library should be found.
>
> If libiconv was installed in the standard library path (eg /usr/lib) this
> would not be necessary.

Ok, this doesn't correct the problem. Let's go few steps back...
For being able to use gstep xml features, I need to install libxml (of course)
that also needs libiconv...
So I build libiconv-1.6.1, the run:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libiconv_plug.so as the readme says.
Got the lib install at the right place: /usr/local/lib... I fell happy ;-)

Download libxml2-2.3.5, start building it but got exatly the same error:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> Sounds like you need to configure gnustep-base using
>   --with-libiconv-library=PATH
> to specify where the iconv library should be found.
>
> If libiconv was installed in the standard library path (eg /usr/lib) this
> would not be necessary.

Ok, this doesn't correct the problem. Let's go few steps back...
For being able to use gstep xml features, I need to install libxml (of course)
that also needs libiconv...
So I build libiconv-1.6.1, the run:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libiconv_plug.so as the readme says.
Got the lib install at the right place: /usr/local/lib... I fell happy ;-)

Download libxml2-2.3.5, start building it but got exatly the same error:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/xmllint xmllint.o -lreadline -lhistory -lncurses
./.libs/libxml2.so -lz -lm -lz -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
./.libs/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
./.libs/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
./.libs/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `libiconv'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xmllint] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gstep/libxml2-2.3.5'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gstep/libxml2-2.3.5'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I've tried libiconv.ppc.rpm thet produce the same error when compiling either
libxml or gstep-base...

Help !  Au Secours ! unfortunatly I just speak french or that poor english ;-)

Later, Yann