Re: Forwarded message: Thinking about GNUstep !

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: Forwarded message: Thinking about GNUstep !
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:25:00 -0800

ian.mondragon@bankofamerica.com wrote:

> i'm actually pretty miserable about not having a mac yet to run OS X on
> <sniff>, so i can't answer this question with any definite authority at the
> moment.  however, there are compiler flags to indicate OS X
> compatibility...donno off the top of my head what they are, though.

There are flags -fnext-runtime and -fgnu-runtime whose purpose is to
set up correctly for OS X and GNUstep respectively, but things are not
quite so simple.  For instance, Object.h is different for NeXT and GNU
runtimes, and guess which one is preinstalled in OS X /usr/include where
everybody will find it by default...

Just this week I've been working on a little chart of possible compat
issues that would affect the coexistence of NeXT and GNU runtimes on
various systems.  From what I've figured out so far, there is going to
need to be additions to -f*-runtime behavior so that the right header
files and libraries get found.  This is going to involve compiler
patching, and is dependent on me getting some other Darwin support
into FSF GCC, but it looks like it will be possible to have Cocoa and
GNUstep coexist reasonably on OS X.

Stan Shebs
Core Tools, Apple Computer
shebs@apple.com