Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Chad Cunningham
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:44:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I'd love to see this too, while fizilla is showing promise, the UI is my
least favorite part of mozilla. I'd love a nice UI wrapper around gecko,
and there has been some talk about this recently on the macosx-talk
mailing list. Probably not an easy project, but worth doing :)

> I'm new to the community, and I'm not aware of who Stan is.  Could you
> give me contact information?

shebs@apple.com

I believe he is on this list...

> Hmmm, I did some searching about on google and couldn't find a link to
> the project that has wrapped ObjC around Qt.  Do you have any
> information?  I appreciate it!

I'm not familiar with this either. I know Troll Tech did an initial port
to QT and the source is in the mozilla tree, but I hadn't heard anything
about this involving ObjC. Troll Tech's page on it is at:

http://www.trolltech.com/references/qtmozilla/

This could be an interesting project, perhaps the first attempt at a major
app that is compatible with OSX and GNUstep? I think it might be quite a
pain to get it working with both, but it seems the GNUstep appkit is
complete enough for most of what you would need for a browser UI. I'm more
interested in a good ObjC interface to gecko however, I think this would
offer alot to the GNUstep project and the OSX community.

--

Chad Cunningham
ccunning@math.ohio-state.edu

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"