Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:47:49 -0700

Brian Powell wrote:

> On Monday, April 9, 2001, at 07:28 PM, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> > Note however  that the Objective-C  runtimes have some  differences in
> > GNUstep and MacOSX,  which means that two versions  of this ObjC class
> > (or two concrete subclasses) would have to be written
>
> No problem, I would tend to believe that once I've figured out how to do
> it, it shouldn't be TOO terribly different between the two (famous last
> words).  Isn't Apple contributing their gcc version of objc back to egcs?

Yes, I've been installing Apple changes into GNU Objective-C for the
past month or so.  Interestingly, most of the major differences are already
in standard GCC 2.95.2, if you say -fnext-runtime; most of Apple's local
changes are connected to PDO and other NeXT activities that have been
abandoned, and those are not going into FSF GCC.

That said, the runtimes are spectacularly different and are going to stay
different for some time I suspect, but in the case at hand, if you're
just going to translate message sends, that doesn't require a whole lot
of runtime knowledge.

Stan