Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: Richard Dale
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:12:29 +0100

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> Thank you for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.  I assume that there is
> cross-communication in your wrapper to Qt?  By that I mean that ObjC can
> invoke C++ methods (of existing objects) and vice-versa?
C++ can't invoke Objective-C methods - it doesn't have a dynamic runtime to
speak of. The situation that I was thinking of, was were you have an Objective-C
method like '- createBigWidget', which instantiates a window with lots of
buttons, text fields, radio buttons etc. Then you use another Objective-C
method like '- getSubWidgetList'. The subwidgets have been created by the
'BigWidget' object in C++, but you would still expect to see them in a list of
subwidgets as an NSArray. That is how C++ and Objective-C would communicate -
via shared window/widget managament structures or similar. It doesn't 'just
happen' - you need to think of the runtime environment. CORBA and idl type
things are pretty useless for this in my opinion.

-- Richard