Re: patches to GNUstep makefiles for FreeBSD

From: Kim Shrier
Subject: Re: patches to GNUstep makefiles for FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:09:01 -0500

"Chris B. Vetter" wrote:

> On Fri, 04 May 2001 16:51:17 -0500
> Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com> wrote:
> > I have a few patches that I have worked out to enable core to build
> > properly on FreeBSD 4.2.
> [...]
>
> Using 'compile-all' implies that you are not using gnustep-objc.
> As far as I understand, that would be an issue if you're still using
> gcc 2.95.2 - what about gcc 2.95.3 (or higher) or objc Port in 'lang'?

I am using gcc 2.95.2 with gnustep-objc-1.0.0.  I am cheating a little
bit because I already had the make package and gnustep-objc installed
so that compile-all was not running on a virgin machine.  I haven't
tried gcc 2.95.3 or higher.  I probably won't upgrade the compiler on
my test machine until I upgrade the OS.  The objc Port is for the
Portable Object Compiler which compiles a dialect of Objective C that
is closer to the one done by Stepstone.  In particular, it doesn't
support categories or NeXT style protocols.  It does support something
completely different that they call a protocol, but it is not
compatible with what is in gcc.  It also supports the ability to pass
a block of code as a parameter to a method.  This allows you to do
something like have a sort method where you pass in the code that
does the item comparisons.  That seems to be an interesting feature
to consider adding to gcc.  Given the differences between gcc and
the Portable Object Compiler, it would be impossible to compile
GNUstep with this compiler.

> Is Thomas Gellekum still in charge of the gnustep Port or has anyone
> else taken over?

I don't know but since the GNUstep Port is for version 0.6.6, I wish
he would update it.

> --
> Chris

Kim
--
 Kim Shrier - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:kim@tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development