Re: Performance patch for large texts

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Performance patch for large texts
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 23:30:34 +0200

Hi Frederic,

I actually happen to be one of the GNUstep programmers and I already did
include most of your patches into NSStringDrawing.m. So if you would
rerun your test with th current CVS sources, you should find better
results.
Of course the addition of another method would have been a legal way to
solve the problem, I just didn't see a reason to change the external
interface of NSAttributedString. I hope you still like the way I
implemented the methods.

Your idea to use a copy on modify sematic on NSAttributedstring (and all
its subclasses of course, here we a using GSTextStorage) would be great.
The problem with this is that we would have to use this inside the
original string too, as otherwise or copy would still change if the
original changes. Perhaps Richanrd has any ideas on this?

Fred