Re: Apple/GNUStep compatibility?

From: Steve Núñez
Subject: Re: Apple/GNUStep compatibility?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:12:50 +0000

Thanks for the comments. I suppose that I should have asked, what isn't in the GUI libs right now? I've been tasked with developing a GUI intensive application for the financial services domain. We are free to chose whatever technology we like, as long there is a reasonable way to run it on multiple platforms. Unix is fine, but Windoze would be a good selling point in the future. This could take the form of a Java applet running in a browser, an X -server on the PC or a native application.

I've reviewed the FAQ, that has a handful of Q&A's on the subject, but my knowledge of Apple and IB is from a few projects done on NeXT a few (quite a few) years back. As I recall it really was a wonderful and productive environment. Since time to market is an issue, and the fact that's we've been eyeing MacOS X for a while, makes me think that this project just might be the thing to start using MacOS X for. What I need is a reasonable level of confidence that we'll be able to deploy the application outside of that environment.

Has anyone written anything on the portability of MacOSX applications to GNUStep? Are there any examples of a hello world? Is this going to be possible?

Regards,
        - Steve