Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:34:23 +0100 (BST)

> I would like *very much* to have something like a GTK+ backend and I
> wonder how much difficult would be to make it.

Let me help the discussion by just clarifying a bit the technical details
-

the gnustep backend is providing basic graphical functions to the upper
library - drawing a line or a point or an image or text or getting
keyboard input or mouse events or mapping a window; it's job is similar
to, say, GDK.

the gui library is drawing the widgets using the graphical facilities
provided by the backend.

So - talking about a `gtk backend' does not make much sense: the code
drawing the `widget' appearance is mostly in the gui library.  And it
doesn't make any sense to attempt using gtk widgets inside gui views in my
opinion, because that breaks everything.

But I agree that appearance is very important - gtk used to be very ugly
btw :-) with themes that has probably changed.

As far as I understand, what everyone here really wants is theme support.

About gtk looks, if the theme system is well designed, someone could then
be able to write a bundle which can use gtk themes to provide gnustep
themes.