Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: gnustep compared to other toolkits
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:19:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:39:55 +0200
> "Martin Brecher" <martin@stupid-design.com> wrote:
> > Well, another option might be to do it the mac os way:
> > GNUstep could provide an (horizontal) menubar app which sits at the top
> > of the screen (and might eventually be customizeable regarding position
> > and size), where the menus of the current focused app are drawn.
> > Would this be possible? (without too much effort/rewriting?)
>
> Use Mlvwm ;-)

unfortunatly GNUstep menu windows are drawn by GNUstep, now Mlvwm or
some other wm :(

> > This way, GS would also stay consistent with Mac OS... maybe someone
> > would even create a aqua like theme and window manager.
>
> Yikes. Aqua, though something new, is bloody ugly IMHO. And sorry, I
> think, themes in general are a waste of resources. What we have right
> now is simple yet elegant. Can't wish for more.

I don't care about themes, too.
But most of the people DO care!
so if the gui is stable enough, we should think about getting GNUstep
themeable!!!

> > p.s.: Who else on the list is speaking German? Maybe together we could
> > write an GNUstep article for a German computer magazine?
>
> I do. I also tried several times to direct Heise's (publisher of c't
> and iX) attention to GNUstep's progress but nothing ever happened.

Mhhh, bad news.
I also wrote a mail about a year ago, but nobody cared.
Instead they care about things like the parisc-linux project
(very good hackers btw and a cool project), which is not
really usable right now and not interesting for many people
(though for me)!
I don't know what people at heise want ...
usually they have some quite interesting and good articles, but
sometimes they don't care about the REALLY interesting stuff ...

sersn max