Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUstep version number(s) (was: Re: GNUstep article (was: Re:gnustep compared to other toolkits))
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:06:15 -0700

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:09:15 +0200 (CEST)
"M. Grabert" <xam@grabert.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Laurent Julliard wrote:
> I agree with you in some other way:
> I also think that the evolution of both KDE and GNOME will slow down
> in the next years. One reason is, that there is no real competition
> anymore. For the first years of GNOME and KDE, developers were quite
> enthusiastic and there was some kind of hype, but not know anymore.
> Another reason is that many new features require to completly redesign
> some libraries (e.g. unicode support for GNOME) which slows down the
> development and is annoying for both developers and users.
> Moreover both KDE and GNOME are quite usuable now, and many people
> got used to their bugs/missing features/odd behaviors. My feeling
> is that GNOME/KDE are like Windows 95 in that way. The main
> improvements of Windows >95 are in stability and in the integration
> of apps like IE into the OS. I don't think that KDE is getting faster in
> the future, nor GNOME is getting homogenous.

The hype around KDE and GNOME is based on their being different to
any window manager at the point of time they emerged but being similar
to Weendoze, making a transition much easier.

Most complaints about KDE I hear about most still is it's sluggish
behaviour, while the turmoil in GNOME's development crew will/might
scare a lot of people.

> > I think there is a real opportunity for GNUstep here. Make it easy,
> > simple and elegant.

It already IS simple with respect to functionality and usability (from
a user's point of view) - AND it is elegant or, in other words,
visually pleasant.

> of course! but since the GUI developed since the last days of NeXT,
> we should make enhancements to the Workdesk. E.G. fully integration
> of internet services (ftp, http) to the GNUstep GUI etc.

That would be a direct confrontation to the UNIX philosophy:
One tool per task. Better to have one tool, which does exactly
what it is expected to do, than a tool which can do multiple things
but not one of them in a perfect way (eg Outlook).

> Moreover themes and nifty feature is what people want.

Eeeks, themes again.

> > Let's make GNUstep the turn-key desktop environment for Linux.
> this is going to be a VERY hard job!

Not if it obviously is superior to others - though history tells us
a different story (eg Weendoze) ...

> > My .01 Euro :-)
> just 0.1 euro ? it's less than 1 cent! Moreover small Euro-money is
> also called cent, so ...

What the heck is an Euro? Is it edible?

--
Chris