Threading

From: Philip Knodle
Subject: Threading
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 01:10:15 -0400

I have a few questions about threading in GNUStep.  First off, I fixed the
problem I was having earlier.  In fact I did not have threads built on to the
objc libraries.

Is it possible to mix C/pthreads and objc/NSThread code in a project?  I've
been looking at the code, and it looks like it is not possible.  I guess my
real question is *should* it be possible?

Let me be a bit clearer.  It is possible to have C/pthread all by itself in
a project.  However, when the C code calls objective C code, the program
will seg fault.  The objective C code has a some thread private variables that
are not initialized

Does OPENStep say anything about this?  My main concern is that if the
threading semantics of GNUStep change, then programs that work on GNUStep
won't work on other implementation.  This may be a a bad thing.

Thank you,
-Philip  Knodle
 --
Westheimer's Discovery:
        A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a