Re: Deploying under GnuStep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Deploying under GnuStep
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:52:01 +0100

On Thursday, July 26, 2001, at 09:34 AM, Gerrit Van Dyk wrote:

Hi all,

We have an application that is written under Openstep 4.2. It currently runs under Openstep 4.2 for Mach and Openstep 4.2 for Windows. We want to port
the backend (non appkit) piece of the application to gnustep.
Which version of Gnustep should we use as this will be used in a production
system?

I'd use the latest release ... or the latest CVS version.
Though you need some care with CVS ... while most changes are portability updates
and bugfixes, we do occasionally change/add significant things.

Is gnustep stable enough for production systems?

Yes - under GNU/Linux. Our systems have been supporting thousands of users,
24*7 for some years now.

Under windows, I think you would most likely want to do some rigorous testing and bugfixing. I know people do use it under windows, but I don't know with
what degree of reliability.