Re: Problem w/ archives.

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Problem w/ archives.
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

Here is the problem I saw with the 07/31 core file:

core/gui/COPYING.LIB
core/gui/ChangeLog
tar: Skipping to next header

bzcat: Data integrity error when decompressing.
        Input file = core.20010731.tar.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to *attempt* to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: 248 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
[heron@genoa heron]$

Here is the problem I'm seeing w/ the 08/05 core file:

core/gui/Documentation/gsdoc/NSMatrix.gsdoc

bzcat: Data integrity error when decompressing.
        Input file = core.20010805.tar.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to *attempt* to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: 408 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
[heron@genoa heron]$

When I test the integrity of the archive:

[heron@genoa heron]$ bzip2 -ttv core.20010805.tar.bz2
  core.20010805.tar.bz2: data integrity (CRC) error in data

The command that is being used to unarchive the file is:

bzcat <archive> | tar xvf -

in both cases.   This is the command I have been using since the files were
changed to bzip2 format and it has always worked up until now.   I am
downloading the file in BINARY mode so I don't think that's the problem.   I
also downloaded the latest usr-apps archive and it seems fine.

Later, GJC

--- rob <rburns@softhome.net> wrote:
> I've also had problems with the core .bz2 file
>
> Rob
>
> At Wednesday, 1 August 2001, you wrote:
>
> >I am having a problem w/ the .bz2 file for core.
> >It is consitently dying on gui/ChangeLog.  Also,
> >when updating from CVS it informs me that
> >gui/ChangeLog has a checksum error.
> >
> >Is anyone elso seeing these problems.
> >
> >Later, GJC
> >
> >=====