Re: RELEASE and co. macros

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: RELEASE and co. macros
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:40:02 +0200

Hi,

Marko Mikulicic wrote:
> I noticed that a lot of programs use the RELEASE, AUTORELEASE and RETAIN
> macros.
> Is this only for style or there is a reasion for it ?
> (overriding the macro to disable ref counting mem and use boehm GC
> perhaps ?)

The reason is to save method call overhead to retain/release/... if GC
is enabled (they are defined as noops in the GC case).

> Has someone tried out Boehm GC with GNUstep ?

I think Richard has played with that. Some time ago I used libFoundation
extensivly with BoehmGC, that worked very well.

> Since debugging memory related problems is so unpredictable I'm
> wondering if someone knows if there are some conficts in the gcc objc
> runtime with Bohem's GC.

You have basically the same, unpredictable to find, memory related
problems whether you use GC or not, but anyway ...

The GNU gcc ObjC runtime has very good support for BoehmGC. Eg it can
even use Boehm typed memory and manage weak references. See the
features.texi file included in libobjc.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises