Re: Localize GWorkspace

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Localize GWorkspace
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:40:17 +0200 (CEST)

Nicola Pero <n.pero@mi.flashnet.it> wrote:
> [...]
> If you are localizing in a real hurry, you can just use _() as in
>
> _(@"My useful string")
>
> which is just exactly the same as
>
> NSLocalizedString (@"My useful string", @"")
>
> This use no comments, which is bad, but because localizing using _()
> is trivial, there are no excuses for not doing it ...
>
> Writing the required tools should not be too difficult but ... we want
> tools which are not only able to generate a skeleton
> Localizable.strings file, but also to *update* the existing ones (I
> mean, removing all messages which are not any longer in the new code,
> adding any new message which is in the new code but is not in the
> Localizable.strings file, but keeping any message - including its
> translation - which is in the code and was already in the
> Localizable.strings files).
>
> If I remember correctly, Pascal has contributed some shell scripts
> which you can use to generate Localizable.strings files from the
> source code - so basically they should already do part of the tools'
> job.  You can ask him for the scripts source code, I think he'll be
> happy to share them.

Yes. You can get them from:
    http://www.informatimago.com/develop/gnustep/index
or  http://informatimago.free.fr/i/develop/gnustep/index
(search for "Downloading gls").

It's a  quick hack using /lib/cpp,  but it can help,  waitting for the
right tools. It would be trivial to add extracting the _ macro too.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around