Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:06:47 +0200

Hi Igor,

what you are describing is what would happen if the characters you want
to display in the gui are not supported by the used fonts. Could you
please try to find out which encoding is used for the fonts? I think you
will have to add a NSLog statement in [XGFontInfo  initWithFontName:
matrix:] just print out the xfontname. The font encoding should match
with the C local you are using. Sorry this is one of the drawbacks of
our current font implementation the font cacher randomly decides which
font to use when there are multiple fonts only differing in the
encoding. This could be resolved by using font sets, but I don't know
how to get the metric information form a font set. (This is also the
main reason, why we still don't have support for the new XFT fonts)

Fred