Re: Difference Between GC Classes and NS Classes

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Difference Between GC Classes and NS Classes
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:02:53 +0100

On Monday, September 17, 2001, at 07:27 AM, Gerrit Van Dyk wrote:

Hi,

What is the difference between using the GC classes (GCArray,GCDictionary
etc) in the extensions library and their NS counterparts?

I am busy working on the DB library and this library makes extensive use of the GC classes, I would like to replace them with their NS counterparts, but
I am worried that I might mess a few things up.

Garbage collection ... the GC classes use some form of mark and sweep GC I think.
The NS classes use tyhe OpenStep retain/release system.

I believe that converting would require major changes to the structure/design
the database library ... but I agree that it should be done.