Re: ANNOUNCE: Request For Proposals

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Request For Proposals
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:26:13 -0700

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:12:28 +0200
"Philippe C.D. Robert" <phr@3dkit.org> wrote:
> > About transparancy, I already feel very uncomfortable that
> > GNUstep relies on libraries, like libxml2, which originally
> > were written for GNOME.
> > But maybe I'm just another zealot - I prefer a clean system,
> > nothing GTK/GNOME or KDE on MY machines...
> Well, as long as it is a good library, supported by the FSF and
> not designed primarily to be used by GTK/Gnome only I do not
> see a reason against using it?!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bitching about libraries per se.

Take libxml2 for example - a very cool library, but at least on
FreeBSD, by default it expects other GTK/Gnome related libs and
apps installed on a system - which are not necessary for GNUstep.
Or even libxml2, for that matter.

Another example would be Window Maker. It used to rely on
libPropList - now with version 0.7.0 that code has been merged
into WINGs, making libPropList (for WMaker) obsolete.

It's not the libraries, it's dependencies I'm worried about.

--
Chris