Re: Dealloc Notification

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Dealloc Notification
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:01:28 +0100

Hi Gerrit,

Gerrit Van Dyk wrote:
> Helge wrote:
> >I have two issues with that:
> >a) compatibility (I consider that very critical !!)
>
> This whole discussion started with incompatibilities. Currently your EO
> object must inherit of GCObject or implement the GC interface, which is not
> at all compatible with the 1.1 EOF spec.

But this doesn't break compatibility with EOF 1.1 in terms that the
software components based on GDL are not reusable. I have nothing
against additional API as long as it can be implemented on all platforms
(eg in terms of categories).

BTW: we should make a difference between "practical" compatibility
issues (there are multiple Foundations in use) and "impractical" ones
(there is no EOF 1.1 available anymore and demand for EOF 1.1
compatibility is pretty low ...).

I see it as a big chance for GDL to be MacOSX compatible, since people
on MacOSX do not have an "official" database API anymore. If people use
GDL on MacOSX instead of (unofficial) EOF >1.x versions, it will also be
*much* easier for them to port to GNUstep !

> Yes I could create a GCObject under
> openstep that just inherits of NSObject, but is this correct?

IMHO yes. BTW *you* do not need to do this, since we already have
FoundationExt which is precisely for that reason !

If we would find a way to implement -dealloc on MacOSX Foundation I
heavily vote for adding them to all Foundations, but if not, I strongly
suggest not making GDL dependend on gstep-base (you would lose at least
one user - me ;-)

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com
Web Application Technology for Enterprises