Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms

From: Stephen Brandon
Subject: Re: Favored GNUstep Plattforms
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:58:56 +0000

On Wednesday 21 Nov 2001 11:30 am, David.Ayers@brainag.com wrote:
> Hello GNUstepets and -stepers!
>
> I'm an OPENSTEP Enterprise 4.2 (i.e. Windows) developer that wants to take
> a serious look at GNUstep development. I have practically no Linux but some
> NeXT 3.2 experience.  I need to set up a new system and would like to know
> from your expierience, which (if any) GNU/Linux systems you'd suggest for
> development.
>
> I'm planning to work on some EOF/DB implementations and therefor will
> probaly need a "mysql" (as I figure this is the predominate database used
> under GNULinux, but please infom me if I'm wrong)

Don't forget OpenBase, another MacOSX database with MUCH better GUI tools
than Frontbase. It's an excellent all-round database. Great support too --
though Frontbase is also said to have great support.

Openbase runs on Linux too, though without the GUI tools. There is a free
version available, though they haven't started giving out (free) license
codes for the one running on Linux yet - it's expected very soon now.

I don't know about a GDL adaptor for it though - if there isn't one then
you're probably just as well off using FrontBase, Sybase or Oracle, all of
which run on Linux.

Stephen Brandon
stephen@brandonitconsulting.co.uk