Re: GNUstep "open" tool

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep "open" tool
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:30:23 -0500

Nicola Pero wrote:

> > Concerning opening apps by name:
> > I do not see any problem here. I consider it definitly useful to open
> > a terminal window and then say "open App.app".
>
> It seems people are quite confused ... by the different options ...
> perhaps they didn't read what the patch was doing ... and thought it was
> doing a different thing.
>
> I'll explain again how I think it should work -
>
> `openapp' is for invoking an application (if you open a terminal and
> want to fire up an application, you type `openapp App.app', not `gopen
> App.app')
>
>  * to start Gorm.app, you type:
>
>    openapp Gorm.app

Mac OS X doesn't have openapp (I tried it the last time I had access to an OS
X machine), but it does have open. I was rather confused by this, as I'm used
to openapp. On OS X, open is how you open both files and apps from the command
line, and it does search for apps (and only apps) in the well-known paths,
after the current directory (just like my patch does).

[snip]