Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: OpenStep: Advice Needed
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:12:07 +0100 (CET)

> Thanks for your comments. If found 2 Mach projects:
>
> - mach4 (http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oldproj.html)
>   This project is no longer alive according to the homepage.
>
> - xMach (http://www.xmach.org/)
>   This one is alive and based on mach4 (as the faq says)
>
> However, the xMach homepage looks to me as if xMach is not
> stable yet, so I guess that the mach4 project is the one I
> should use for the OpenStep system ? I also read about OSF
> Mach...
>
> Can you give me a url of the Mach I need for OpenStep on
> Intel?

OPENSTEP 4.2  includes and is  based on a  Mach 2.5 \ BSD  4.3 system,
like the various versions of  NeXTSTEP. You don't need a separate Mach
OS. I  even doubt the higher  layers (binaries) of  OPENSTEP 4.2 would
work with a different base system.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around