Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:41:35 -0800

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:41:10 +0100
Martin Brecher <martin@mb-itconsulting.com> wrote:
> I have the same problems, so its not because of your font/x11 setup.

I've noticed the same after Friday's CVS checkout. However, I've
cleaned up my /etc/XF86Config to use xfs and xfstt first, and fall
back to fixed, 75 and 100dpi if a font look-up fails. Reverting back
to the original setting (no xfs/xfstt) "solved" the "problem".
Instead, I rather set NSFont and NSMenuFont to a different font with
a smaller size.

Another problem is, however, if you have lots of fonts ( > 6000 in my
case), re-creating the font-cache will completely freeze (no mouse
movements, can't even switch to a console) my machine (a K7-700 with
512Meg) for about 20 minutes ... then font-cacher will dump a core,
about 6Meg in size ...
This happens _only_ if I run xfstt, though. Weird, bug, feature?

--
Chris