Re: beginner questions

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: beginner questions
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:38:56 +0000 (GMT)

Sorry for answering late, having been in hospital for nearly a week.

> One little thing I'm puzzled by are the class header files,
> which seem to be ignored by the makefiles. If I write a simple
> GNUmakefile like
>
> ---------------
> include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
> GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=$(GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT)
>
> APP_NAME=test
> test_OBJC_FILES=main.m MyAppDelegate.m
>
> include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make
> ---------------
>
> , the header files are ignored, i.e., if I change
> MyAppDelegate.h, the dependent .m files are not
> recompiled. Is this by design or what can I do
> to avoid it?

If you are using an old compiler, it's true, the header files are ignored.

But Iif you are using a new compiler (GCC => 3.x) instead, gnustep-make
(at least the one from CVS) will use the autodependency support built into
the compiler to *automatically* determine which header files are #included
during compilation, and add appropriate dependencies on those files for
next rebuild - which is quite handy - you don't have to specify the header
files in the makefile - not because they are ignored, but because they are
picked up automatically. :-)