Re: Simply GNUstep Feedback

From: cehardin
Subject: Re: Simply GNUstep Feedback
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:14:41 -1000

Have anyone successfully built GNUstep in / (as opposed to /opt/GNUstep, /usr/GNUstep, etc)? I want to do this but want to see what problems people have had before hand.

Chad

Howdy.

I grabbed your "Simply GNUstep" ISO. Let me first state that for awhile now I have thought a GNUstep-based distribution would be nice.

However, I have a slight problem or two with the way you're doing it. So if I may, I'd like to give you some constructive criticism.

Mistake number one: vesafb. I'm lucky enough to own an Athlon, but vesafb is intolerably slow on many systems. If I were to run it on the Celeron down the hall, I don't think it'd be too zippy. I know this from experience, having written some framebuffer code.

The framebuffer in general is also slow for X, as the "fbdev" module for XFree86 is unaccelerated for all video cards. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you this.

My second grievance: you put GNUstep in /opt/GNUstep. In my humble opinion, if one is truly dedicated to GNUstep as you say you are, they would install it to / instead. You cite Mac OS X as an inspiration, so witness the fact that in OS X, there is a /System, and not /opt/MacOS/System, or even /MacOS/System. Therefore I think GNUstep should be installed in not /opt/GNUstep, not /GNUstep, but right at the root level.

I'll assume also that you are at some point going to have a login system, so I'll keep quiet about the fact that everyone is root for now. :-) A few of the icons in the dock are broken (ENOENT upon doubleclick). But I'll assume you're aware of that one too.

And lastly, something that's probably too late to change now: I wouldn't have used Linux as a base. Why? Because it's sloppy and disorganized, with a million and one decentralized packages to keep tabs on. I would have taken an existing base, notably OpenBSD. Why OpenBSD? Because it's light, it's simple, it's complete, it's free, and it's all in one piece. You could have a working, lightweight "GNUstep system" without even editing the default install very much. It could save you a lot of work. And I do mean a lot.

Overall, though, very cool. One last question, though. Where's the source?

Cheers,
Andy