Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:51:05 +0100

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> >     Sender: dennis@made-it.com
> > Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:30:13 +0100
> > From: Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com>

> > > Ok. Let's suppose that you have the following configuration:
> > >
> > >     hostA1 10.0.0.1 running gs App1 and gpbs server1
> > >     with DISPLAY=10.0.0.2:0.0
> > >
> > >     hostA2 212.87.205.57 running gs App2 and gpbs server2
> > >     with DISPLAY=212.87.205.58:0.0
> > >
> > >     and
> > >
> > >     hostX3 with two ethernet cards eth0 212.87.205.58
> > >                                and eth1 10.0.0.2
> > >            running a X server, display :0, screen :0.0
> > >
> > > Now, on hostX3, you copy data from a window of App1, and paste it to a
> > > window of App2.
> > >
> > > Please explain  how this  can be  done by your  gpbs server1  and gpbs
> > > server2. Remember that gpbs server1 is  on a host on a private network
> > > and that no  routing exists between 10.0.0.0/8 and  the Internet where
> > > gpbs server2 is.
> >
> > If hostX3 knows about routing then the problem is solved, but I
> > guess that is not what you are aiming at.  You mean if hostX3
> > doesn't know about routing... well I guess you are stuck and should
> > be.  The reason why hostX3 doesn't know about routing is probably a
> > security issue. So if you could bypass the security AS A NORMAL USER
> > by copy and paste, well...  (fill in yourself)
>
> Well,  in that  case,  users  will see  that  they can  copy-and-paste
> between  any  X application  (Gnome,  KDE,  others),  and not  between
> GNUstep applications,  and they will conclude  rightfully that GNUstep
> is not up to its promise.
>
> Anyway, even  with all three hosts on  the same LAN, I'd  like to hear
> your idea of the sequence  of events when copy-and-paste is done. Note
> that you're  involving two gpbs servers, and  the GNUstep applications
> don't know each other. Then?

User presses copy in App1 -> gpbs1 accepts data and copy function sets database
with
someting like server1:data
User does paste in App2 -> paste function looks up database and sees data is on
server1, notifies gpbs2 that data should be coming from gpbs1 and notifies
gpbs1 to
send data to gpbs2 -> servers exchange data -> gpbs2 sends data to App2

Dennis