Re: GWorkspace and GNUSTEP_TZ

From: Masanori Kajiwara
Subject: Re: GWorkspace and GNUSTEP_TZ
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:46:30 +0900 (JST)

Hi Chris-san, :-)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:11:38 -0800
"Chris B. Vetter" <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm living in Japan, so I edit my `~/.cshrc':
> > setenv GNUSTEP_TZ Japan
>
> GNUSTEP_TZ should be something like PST8PDT (in my case).
>
> Instead of GNUSTEP_TZ, you can also use
>
>   defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" "Asia/Tokyo"
>
> You can put the line above in you .xinitrc/.xsession to make sure it's
> written to the User Defaults whenever you launch X.
>
> --
> Chris

I've tried to change my settings again by following your helpful suggestions
and the `GNUstep-HOWTO' file.

1. Use the defaults utility to set "Local Time Zone" to the local time zone.
    a. defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" Japan
    b. defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" GMT+9
    c. defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone" "Asia/Tokyo"

2. Set the GNUSTEP_TZ environment variable in `~/.cshrc'.
    a. setenv GNUSTEP_TZ Japan
    b. setenv GNUSTEP_TZ GMT+9
    c. setenv GNUSTEP_TZ "Asia/Tokyo"

3. Create the file
   `/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Libraries/Resources/NSTimeZones/localtime'
   with the name of the local time zone in it.
    a. Japan
    b. GMT+9
    c. Asia/Tokyo

In all cases:

1. My sample Clock.app showed the current time in JST(+0900).
2. The Attributes Panel of GWorkspace.app showed the last modified time
   of a selected file in GMT(+0000).

Then I've checked to unset "Local Time Zone" etc...
When I login my shell, I'm lectured with the following messages:

Jan 14 21:44:46 gpbs[305] No local time specified.
Jan 14 21:44:46 gpbs[305] Using time zone with absolute offset 0.
(In this time, the local time of my machine is `Tue Jan 15 06:44:46 JST 2002')

In this case:

1. My sample Clock.app showed the current time in GMT(+0000).
2. The Attributes Panel of GWorkspace.app showed the last modified time
   of a selected file in GMT(+0000).

What's wrong with my setting?

Thanks for any help,

--