Platforms

From: Markus Grabert
Subject: Platforms
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:35:02 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I have some questions about running GNUstep on other
platforms than GNU/Linux(Intel).

I'm using GNUstep for quite some time,
but I only used it on Intel Systems running GNU/Linux
or on Solaris/SPARC.

Right now I'm using OpenBSD 3.0 (Intel) and Debian GNU/Linux (woody,
Intel) at work and I use Suse Linux (7.1, SPARC) and Debian GNU/Linux
(woody 0.9.3, HP PA-RISC).

Since I didn't found any Information about whether these platforms
are supported on www.gnustep.org I'm asking here:

- OpenBSD 2.x support is considered as 'unstable' and just allows
static libraries. Has this changed in 3.0 ?

- OpenBSD doesn't support gcc-3.x at the moment (I think it's still
gcc-2.95.3). I only used gcc-3.x in combination with GNUstep latetly;
will this make a big difference (am I loosing functionality or are
there still any major bugs in gcc-2.95.3) ?

- Has somebody expirience with Linux/SPARC and Linux/PA-RISC and
running GNUstep ?

- Does ffcall support the platforms mentioned above ? Is it difficult
to port ffcall to these platforms ? If not, can I still use GNUstep
(without DO or with other limitations) ?

Since I don't have any clue about SPARC/PA-RISC processors + assembler
and their stack handling I can't help porting ffcall (except testing).
However I know C/POSIX very well and I also know OpenStep programming.
Therefore I could assist porting the GNUstep libraries if needed.
Unfortunately I just can do this in my spare time (not much), and this is
not a high priority task for me.

I'd love to give interested developers access to the computers at home,
but I can't, since I don't have internet access at home.

Greetings max