Re: Newbie Question about the DBKit

From: Martin Häcker
Subject: Re: Newbie Question about the DBKit
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:48:55 +0100

Martin =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4cker?= <dont.wanna.tell@web.de> wrote:

 Salve!

 Uhm, I dont really know how to ask this, but here I go...

 Is it possible to use the DBKit under Mac OS X?

You mean the gdl (GNUstep Database Library), don't you?

The DBKit was what existed on NeXTSTEP (not OpenStep) before EOF.

I don't know of  any reason why gdl could not be  compiled and used on
MacOSX. In addition, it's under the  LGPL, therefore it can be used by
any   kind  of   application.   See  gnustep/dev-libs/db/INSTALL   and
gnustep/dev-libs/db/COPYING.LIB.

Sorry, of course I do. :)

Uhm, I fear thats exactly my problem, I do know that it exists, but I dont get the problem that lies in just getting it and compiling it under os x. :(

Has anybody of you tried this before? (I fear that my knowledge of unix and everything that lies under my neat graphical interface is far to small to conquer this task... _yet!_ ;)

Also another question: It seems that the gdl (right this time? <g>) has no flat file Adoptor, although this seems to be the most requested feature (on the os x mailing list). How much knowledge of the DBKit or EOF would it take to write one? Or has it already been done?

thx in advance
Martin
--
dont.wanna.tell