Re: NSScrollView/NSClipView resizing. (fwd)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: NSScrollView/NSClipView resizing. (fwd)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:43:21 +0100 (CET)

> Pascal, I tried sending you this one week ago, but it was bounced back.
> Sending it again.

Yep, the "nice" administration scripts of SuSE Linux who reset my fine
hand-tuned configurations...

> Hi Pascal,
>
> thanks - very interesting !
>
> > (Source of ScalingScrollView is to  be found in the AppKit Examples of
> > OPENSTEP 4.2).
>
> I don't have OPENSTEP 4.2 ... so I can't see the example - can you send me
> the code of this example in a private email ?  <if you've hacked it to run
> on gnustep already, as it seems, can you send me the hacked version ?  I
> won't make it public, just so that I can touch quickly the problem.>

I join  the ScalingScrollView of OPENSTEP  4.2 and that  of MacOSX, in
addition to the copy I use  with GNUstep. It's almost identical to the
original from OPENSTEP.

Note that the OPENSTEP Examples sources contain this "license" notice:

        You may freely copy, distribute and reuse the code in this example.
        NeXT disclaims any warranty of any kind, expressed or implied,
        as to its fitness for any particular use.

while the "same" MacOSX Examples sources contain:

    IMPORTANT:  This Apple software is supplied to you by Apple
    Computer, Inc. ("Apple") in consideration of your agreement to the
    following terms, and your use, installation,  modification or
    redistribution of this Apple software constitutes acceptance of
    these  terms.  If you do not agree with these terms, please do not
    use, install, modify or  redistribute this Apple software.

    In consideration of your agreement to abide by the following
    terms, and subject to these  terms, Apple grants you a personal,
    non-exclusive license, under Appleƕs copyrights in  this original
    Apple software (the "Apple Software"), to use, reproduce, modify
    and  redistribute the Apple Software, with or without
    modifications, in source and/or binary  forms; provided that if
    you redistribute the Apple Software in its entirety and without
    modifications, you must retain this notice and the following text
    and disclaimers in all  such redistributions of the Apple
    Software.  Neither the name, trademarks, service marks  or logos
    of Apple Computer, Inc. may be used to endorse or promote products
    derived from  the Apple Software without specific prior written
    permission from Apple. Except as expressly stated in this notice,
    no other rights or licenses, express or implied, are granted by
    Apple herein, including but not limited to any patent rights that
    may be infringed by your  derivative works or by other works in
    which the Apple Software may be incorporated.

    The Apple Software is provided by Apple on an "AS IS" basis.
    APPLE MAKES NO WARRANTIES,  EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT
    LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT,
    MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, REGARDING
    THE APPLE SOFTWARE OR ITS  USE AND OPERATION ALONE OR IN
    COMBINATION WITH YOUR PRODUCTS.

    IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
    TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS  OF USE,
    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
    OF THE USE,  REPRODUCTION, MODIFICATION AND/OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE
    APPLE SOFTWARE, HOWEVER CAUSED AND  WHETHER UNDER THEORY OF
    CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR
    OTHERWISE, EVEN IF APPLE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
    SUCH DAMAGE.

in addition to the Copyright... All rights reserved.

Therefore, while we could put a copy of the MacOSX Examples on GNUstep
site and  have them compile and  run on GNUstep,  we cannot distribute
any modified copy.

But we  are free to  take the OPENSTEP  Examples, modify them  to work
correctly under  GNUstep and distribute the modified  version from the
GNUstep web site or CVS repository.

In any cases, since we're given the right to copy and distribute these
examples, it  may be  useful to have  them on  GNUstep web or  CVS for
reference.

The  OPENSTEP AppKit  Examples weight  about 512k  compressed  and the
OPENSTEP Foundation Example about 30k compressed. I'll prepare and put
archives of them on my web site to let GNUstep webmasters take a copy.

Since  these  Examples are  freedomful  software,  I've  Cc'ed to  the
maillist.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around