Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:04:37 +0000

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 04:48 PM, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
Now suggestion:

Instead of writting archives of  user interface objects, why not write
Objective-C source code,  that would build this user  interface net of
objects instead of unarchiving them.

Loads of reasons, pretty well known, so I guess that's rhetorical :-)

I know  that there  is the difficulty  of reading back  this generated
source, to edit  it from Gorm, because the  programmer may have edited
the source form.  There is no general solution here, but we can find a
good enough solution.

Not to mention the fact that you would need to recompile/link the code
every time you make any change etc etc.

Seriously ...
Why not just add support for gmodel files in Gorm, and fix up any problems
with the gmodel format.  That way you'd get system independence without
all the disadvantages of source code, and the effort would be far less
work than your proposal (plus I'd like someone to contribute that code).

Not that system dependence is a big deal anyway given that this is all
free software, but if it's an issue for you, the above should solve it
with least effort.