Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:25:50 +0100

>IIRC, on NeXT,  the dock is managed by  the WorkspaceManager.app. It's
>not a  separate application.  The WorkspaceManager is  the application
>that handle the drag-and-drop of icons. Therefore, it's easy for it to
>check if an icon is moved over a dock position.
>
>Personnaly, I don't  see any reason why the dock  should be a separate
>application.  (If we  wanted to change the behavior of  the dock or of
>GWorkspace,  we  have  the  sources   to  do  it  and  subclass  their
>implementation).

Dunno if this is a "strong" argument, but the reason for me is that
GWorkspace is also ported to Mac OS X where a dock (separate application
here) already exists. Why have all the stuff in one "big ugly monster"
where it would be easier maintainable to have "little cute one purpose
apps".

just my 0,02€

Lars