GORM etc.

From: Bissell, Tim
Subject: GORM etc.
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:46:50 -0000

Just some observations on the discussion:

(1) Keep on building GORM!  I think the PC/GORM IDE (integrated,
    not monolithic!) is a great flagship developer app for GNUStep

(2) Is porting GORM to MacOSX feasible?  That's one way to make
    .gorm files portable!

Code writing GUI builders... Nicola Pero's idea seems reasonable.
I like the idea of writing of keeping track of all the changes made to
each object in the GUI, and writing it out as code[1].  It need not
and should not be Objective-C code, however.  If you used something
like Guile or(my preference, for the similarity to Obj-C) StepTalk
Smalltalk, then you don't need to recompile when the GUI changes.

regards,

Tim

[1] e.g.
----------------------
window1 = [[NSWindow alloc] init]
[window1 setFrame:{ 55, 67, 290, 150 }]
[window1 setTitle:"Main Window"]

button1 = [[NSButton alloc] init]
[button1 setTitle:"OK"];
[button1 setFrame:{260, 130, 25, 15 }]
[window1 addSubview:button1]

---------------------

Of course what would be really cool is if you made the frame size
changes _relative_ to the original sizes, then you could have a
mechanism for creating localised (for language and/or platform)
version of the gui.

e.g.
[GBuilder load:"main"];

[window1 setRelativeFrame:{ 0, 10, 0, -10 }]
[button1 setTitle:"Ja!"]

And if the original gui is changed, the localised 'diff' guis will
still load, and can be tweaked into shape.