Re: thoughts on openapp

From: Sean 'Shaleh' Perry
Subject: Re: thoughts on openapp
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:51:41 -0800 (PST)

> What I was suggesting is somethinglike having a ~/AppBin in your
> path, then a script in .profile or somewhere removes all links in
> that directory and does a recorsive find on all the directpries where
> you mightplace Apps looking for directories ending in .app with an
> executable file within them bearing the nameof the directory.these can then
> be linked into the AppBin which is in yourpath. Hey presto workingapp names
> from the command line...

The problem with this approach is it fails for packagers.  Groups like Debian
or RH need a way to ship GNUStep that works out of the box and does not touch
the user's home directory.  Sure they could app a gnu.app/bin dir somewhere but
then how to get that into $PATH?  I think supplying wrapper scripts would go a
long way to helping GNUStep integrate with UNIX's command line.