Re: GNUstep.sh

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:24:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> > Hi all,

[...]

> > $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT is defined as "~$LOGNAME/GNUstep"
> >
> > in $GNUSTEP_ROOT/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh and .csh

[...]

> > So it would be better (IMHO) to use $HOME instead of $LOGNAME
> >
> > $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=${HOME}/GNUstep
> >
> > which will work at least on more systems.
> >
> > IMHO this is not a "theoretical" problem since this happens to
> > me all the time with a standard configuration (using bash-2.05a as sh).

Oh, I forgot what the problem is:

xam@sal:~$ echo $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT
~xam/GNUstep

instead of

/GNUstep/Local/Users/xam/GNUstep

> Well I did make the change on purpose, but that doesn't mean I'm sure
> it's
> the best thing to do.

;))))

> I am pretty sure that the path used by the makefiles system to find a
> users
> files should be the same as the path returned by the
> NSHomeDirectoryForUser()
> function in the base library, and I changed the makefiles system to try
> do that ... but it may make more sense to change the base library.

Makes sense

> A while back, I posted an email to the developers list suggesting making
> the
> GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT and GNUSTEP_DEFAULTS_ROOT values fixed at configure
> time
> as templates, but only got feedback from one person.
>
> If we fixed this stuff when the make package was configured, we could
> ensure
> that the make system and the gnustep base library used the same paths,
> and
> try to pick the best option.
>
> Comments?

Perhaps the Administrator should decide what way to choose ?
I know this sounds ugly, but since we can't tell for sure
if an algorithm to get the user's homedir works or not, we have to ask.

greetings max