Re: Good news from FOSDEM: article in the c't magazin

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: Good news from FOSDEM: article in the c't magazin
Date: 27 Feb 2002 08:33:39 +0100

Hello again,

thanks again for all the feedback. I will pick up a suggestion from Fred
to continue the discussion in private email. I will send an initial
email to all persons who contacted me either privately or on the list
concerning the article. All following emails should be cc-ied to these
persons. If you want to participate in discussing the c't article,
please contact me in private email. In the beginning we should perhaps
stick with English as the language. At some point it might however be
useful to switch to German when details of wording are discussed. The
group will be informed if relevant results have been reached.

I want to summarize the additional points raised so far:

Manual Guesdon pointed to GNUstepWeb as an example of GNUstep usability
(base).

Fred Kiefer stressed portability and wants to see GORM mentiond. He also
pointed out that the article should also be critical, not raising false
expectations - a very valid point IMO. He suggested to prepare an
intermediate GNUstep release for this article. This probably needs
further discussion.

Nicola Pero pointed to GNUstep-base as the hightlight of GNUstep so far.
He gave the example of NSString illustrating the GNUstep advantage. I
planned to include an Objective-C section in the article which should
make clear that dynamic binding has more ups than downs and show
example(s) from Foundation. I'm confident that we can finally convey
that message. However, this article should not duplicate material
concerning Cocoa or Openstep extensively, since these topics have been
discussed previously in that journal (even if not in depth).

Many others pointed to commercial projects and offered help in
discussing/preparing the article.

Thank you very much, best wishes,

        Stefan