Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:03:31 +0100

On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, at 02:21 PM, Pete French wrote:

what (if anything) we should do about that. Presumably if someone wants
to write code for MacOS-X they would use import in their code.

I think they have to as #include breaks on OSX (which is where this
thread started isnt it ?)

Regardless of the theorietical "correctness" the fact remains
that if you want portable code which run on GNUstep, OSX, OpenStep
and YellowBOX/NT you use #import for the external headers. You should
make sure your own headers are properly protecetd against #include though,
as should any GNUstep headers. If #import goes away in future then you
just need to do a global substitute to port the code.

Exactly. Just as a side note, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf filed the request for "safe-guarding" OS X Foundation/Cocoa Headers against multiple #includes as an Apple Bug with radar ID #2868753. Today, just one day later (!), the ticket has been closed.

State: Verify
Resolution: Behaves Correctly

No matter how good Nicolas's or Stan Shebs's argumentes may be from a compiler standpoint, there is no move within Apple's frameworks teams (Cocoa related, that is) to move away from #import.

Now, nearly all my questions remain. What will happen to autogsdoc? How can we proceed? Is there any chance we can agree on some process or do I have to spin-off my patches (least desirably)?

Cheers,

Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller . . . crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK . http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com