Re: SEGFAULT when starting applications

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: SEGFAULT when starting applications
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:48:31 -0800

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:20:53 +0100 (CET)
Erik Dalen <dalen@jpl.se> wrote:
> sometimes I can get similar problems when upgrading a library. But If I do
> a 'make distclean' and recompile the whole library (or application), it
> starts working again.

I've been out cold for the last two weeks, so I decided to install a new
CVS from scratch yesterday.

gnustep-gui failed to compile due to a missing AppKit/NSCStringText.h -
fortunately, I still had older source around, though the header didn't
get installed.

After installation I tried to run several apps (Gorm, ProjectCenter,
Finger and GNUMail) they all bombed out immediately with a SegFault -
first, due to gdomap not running - though I DID start it - then I
noticed that neither gdnc nor gpbs ran.

I used to start those from .xinitrc, refered to as .../Tools/gdnc and
.../Tools/gpbs - alas, their wrappers were missing, so I started the
binaries directly - which promptly bombed out X11 when I tried to
launch any of the applications mentioned above. Sifting through the
error messages, I found that both, gdnc and gpbs DID launch, but
complained about not being able to register (or sth like that).
Interestingly, though X11 crashed, gdomap, gdnc and gpbs were still
running...

--
Chris