Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 08-03-2002

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 08-03-2002
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:19:00 +0000

From: dennis@made-it.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 04:11:09 +0100

Richard made the gnustep-xgps Middle mouse button code compliend with
that from MacOS X and wondered why the Mac OS guys and girls didn't
use the GNUstep naming scheme, just for compatibility sake.

Well, simply because the -otherMouseXXX events are not limited to just the middle mouse button, rather they are sent for anyone of 32 possible mouse buttons (except the right & left mouse buttons which have there own events).

Same functional api .. slightly different names ...
We used 'middle' to refer to the mouse buttons between the left and right extremes,
Apple used 'other'

I guess their name makes more sense if we assume that the 'right' mouse button may in fact not be the rightmost button on the mouse, and the 'left' mouse button may not be the leftmost button on the mouse. In this case, 'other' makes more sense than 'middle'
to refer to a button which does not lie between the 'left' and 'right'.

However, I think we should try to ensure that, for all GNUstep backends, the 'right' and 'left' mouse button events *do* refer to the rightmost and leftmost buttons on
the mouse, as I think anything else is somewhat counter-intuitive.