Re: switch to XHTML

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: switch to XHTML
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:18:58 -0500

Pete French wrote:

[I wrote:]
> > designed to be parsed by MILLIONS of machines, and produced by
> > THOUSANDS of people, and it's case sensitive? It is to laugh.
>
> Case sensetivity is an artefact of the latin alphabet (and various
> derivatives). It doesnt exist as a concept in most human languages, and
> doesnt make and sense anyway - why are 'a' and 'A' the same, other than
> an accident of description ? You wouldnt want a case-sensetive
> filesystem, so why a case sensetive markup langauge ? The same arguments
> apply to programming languages - you dont want SWITCH and WHILE to be
> valid C do you, so why shoulg <WML> and <wml> be equivalewnt ?

SWITCH and WHILE *are* valid C. They're just not keywords.

> > There are more standards than there are applications to comply with
> > them. Every new standard, including XHTML, makes the problem worse.
>
> This is tre. But I have yet to see a good argument as to why HTML should
> not have been made case-sensitive in the first place.

Because it was intended to be written by humans, for other humans to read,
write, and modify.

XML is less readable than HTML, in the same way that SIXBIT encoding was less
readable than ASCII. You don't ask people to type English email messages in
all lowercase, or all uppercase, do you?