Re: Apple gcc 3.1 under Linux (was: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port question

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: Apple gcc 3.1 under Linux (was: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:17:23 -0800

Pedro Ivo Andrade Tavares wrote:

> At 21:41 11/3/2002, Stan Shebs wrote:
> >What timing!  I've been working today on checking out how our gcc3
> >builds on Linux.  There are at least a half-dozen mistakes I've
> >found so far, nothing really difficult to fix yet, but the stage 2
> >compiler segfaults on some files and I'm still debugging that one.
>
> What did you change to get it to stage 2? My trial run is dying after
> building the stage1 compiler...
>
> Some changes I've made: on gcc/pfe/pfe-mem.c, I had to undefine
> APPLE_MAC_OS_X_IMPLEMENTATION, so it would not try to include Mach headers.
> Also, I ended up passing -UTARGET_MACHO on CFLAGS (solves a bunch of files
> trying to include Mach-O support), and commenting a lot of APPLE_LOCAL
> changes only applicable to Darwin (for example, a flag about building M68K
> stuff). Small stuff, mostly; no changes other than commenting code that
> doesn't compile.

This is basically what I did too.

> However, on the first file that it tries to build with xgcc, it dies with
> an Assembler error message. Does it require Apple's version of as?

Yes, but it doesn't need to - the asm spec is passing -arch <arch>
unconditionally, but only Apple's assembly can deal with it.  That
bit of spec needs to go to config/darwin.h.

Still, that only gets you to where the dwarf2 output stuff chokes.

I'm dealing with the consequences of a messy import of FSF sources
right now, but when that's done (day or two, tops), I'll be finishing
up the Linux build issues.

Stan