Re: How small could you get GnuStep?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: How small could you get GnuStep?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:31:08 +0000

Helge Hess wrote:
> When I reread my posting and saw the DGS word, I know why it won't work
> ;-) The reason why X11 isn't used in Qtopia is, that X11 is far too
> heavyweight for PDA resources. [...]

This is recycled garbage that people say too often.  TinyX with a toolkit is
*still* smaller than Qtopia will be after they reimplement all the useful
things for embedded devices (eg network display) that they've lost.  They'll
also want you to install the compatibility bits on your desktop too, I'll
bet, to get the same features X11 gives you today.  See articles on sites
like linuxDevices about it.  Also, the Jim Gettys interview at
http://www.linuxpower.org/display.php?id=211 may interest you.

DGS may be too heavy, but I don't know that much of it.  Do you?