ANNOUNCE: GNUMail.app 1.0.0

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNUMail.app 1.0.0
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:49:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm glad to announce the release of GNUMail.app 1.0.0.

GNUMail.app is a clone of NeXT/Apple's excellent
Mail.app application. It uses the GNUstep development
framework or Apple Cocoa. GNUMail.app was written from
scratch. It uses Pantomime as its mail handling framework.

GNUMail.app works well on Apple Mac OS X/Cocoa and GNUstep
and can be used as a day-to-day MUA on both platforms.
GNUMail.app is free and is distributed under the GPL.

Here is a short list of what changed since the last release
of GNUMail.app:

   * GNUMail.app is now fully multithreaded (minus IMAP).
     So, that means that it no longer blocks when you're
     downloading emails, sending emails or bouncing them ;
   * Brand new Mailbox Manager. It now uses the NSOutlineView ;
   * Brand new Preferences panel. It's now small and more elegant ;
   * Now possible to specify which table header you want to see
     in the MailWindow (Status/Id/Date/From/Subject/Size) ;
   * It's now possible to specify which mailboxes you want
     GNUMail.app to automatically open on startup. So, it's
     now possible to have an IMAP folder as the default mailbox ;
   * We now scale the attachments (images) so that they always fit
     in the text view ;
   * We now provide a default set of supported MIME types when
     sending messages ;
   * Refactored a lot of classes, fixed bugs and memory leaks and
     improved the performance and the stability.

You can get GNUMail.app 1.0.0 here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/

You can also see two screenshots here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0/GNUMail-1.0.0-OSX.png
http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0/GNUMail-1.0.0.png

The Mac OS X binary should be available in a couple of hours.

In order to use GNUMail.app 1.0.0, you need:

- Apple Mac OS X (tested on 10.1.2 and 10.1.3) OR
- GNUstep make 1.3.0, base 1.3.0, gui 0.7.6 and xgps 0.7.6 or
  the CVS version of all those (newer than 22/03/2002)
  (it will not work with previous releases of GNUstep)

Here's a list of what needs to be improved for the next release:

   * GPG/PGP support ;
   * Finish IMAP support ;
   * Finish the Mailbox Manager (nb of messages, size, etc) ;
   * DnD support ;
   * and more (see docs/TODO)!

Contributions are very welcomed for all those items.

I would like to thank the following people who greatly
helped me getting this release done by sending me
patches, suggestions and bug reports:

Dale Amon, Martin Brecher, Rob Burns, Thomas Cherryhomes,
Erik Dalen, Alexey I. Froloff, Ian Jones, Francis Lachapelle,
Stephen Levine, Alexander Malmberg, Stephane Peron,
Vincent Ricard, Nicolas Roard, Jeff Teunissen, Chris B. Vetter
and particularly Pierre-Yves Rivaille.

Thanks a lot,
                Ludovic

--