GNUstep apps segfault on startup

From: Kevin Fisher
Subject: GNUstep apps segfault on startup
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:37:01 -0400

Hi folks:

I'm new to the list, and to GNUstep in general...I figured I'd give things
a try on my brand-spanking-new Debian Woody system.

I'm finding that all GNUstep applications are seg faulting on startup.
I've tried GNUMail 1.0.0 and LuserNET and they both do the same thing--segfault.
I ran both applications in gdb and they are both choking in the same
spot--in libobjc.

Now, I didn't compile any of the GNUstep libraries et al, I used the
Debian packages from the depot (which seem to be up to date to me).
Woody seems to have both GCC 2.95.4 and GCC 3.0.4 installed.  The Objective-C
compiler is 3.0.4, and the libobjc package is also from GCC 3.0.4 (as
far as I can tell).

Can anyone give me a reason why the segfaulting is happening?  I gather it
has something to do with the mixing of compilers and libraries.  Before
I rebuild everything from source I'd like to be able to bug the Debian
package maintainers and let them know something is messed up.

For what it's worth, GNUMail and LuserNET both compile cleanly.
I have the following packages installed:
gnustep base 1.3.0
gnustep gui 0.7.6
gnustep make 1.3.0
gnustep xgps 0.7.5
GCC-Objc 3.0.4
libojbc1 3.0.4

(My apologies if this is a frequently asked question...I searched the
archives as best as I could and didn't see anything like this).