RE: multilanguage environment

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: RE: multilanguage environment
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:14:56 -0400

  From my little experience,
  if you get * for every non-latin character,
  you have to set the correct encoding in your environment variable
GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING.
  And the GNUstep-base should handle it correctly.

  If you get nothing or garbage in GNUstep-gui/GNUstep-back,
  you have to check whether the font encoding in Xwindow and GNUstep is
correct.
  In my case, I use XFree86 4.1.0 and module xtt (freetype didn't work for
unknown reasons),
  my font is -big5-0, but it is actually iso10464-1 internally.
  Therefore I have to edit my fonts.dir, fonts.alias, etc
  so that GNUstep can get it right.
  I don't quite understand how Xwindow handle the encoding of font,
  therefore, only a few of my Chinese fonts work in GNUstep.
  GNUstep use font cache and I don't know how GNUstep cache the fonts.
  Therefore, I set GSFontMask = *-iso* in .GNUstepDefualts so that it won't
use the -big5-0 font.
  It is quite complicated how Xwindow handle the font encoding.
  For example, a Chinese font can be -big5-0, -iso10464-1, or -gb1xxx
encoding,
  and Xwindow can handle it via encodings.dir or other machenism depending
on xtt or freetype modules.
  I don't know how GNUstep cache the font when it meet the same font name
but different encodings.
  Therefore, I force it to cache iso* font so that only iso10464-1 encoding
will be used.
  Set the NSBoldFont, NSFont, NSUserFont, NSLabelFont, NSMenuFont, etc to
the right font name.

  That's all I did.

  Yen-Ju