Re: gdb under MinGW ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gdb under MinGW ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:49:51 +0100

On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, at 01:19 PM, Saibot wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to try and get GnuStep running on windows somewhere in the near
future.

Since it looks like some of you managed to do that, would you be so kind as
to help me figure out what I need to get (and where from) to get going
knowing that I have a windows 98 box with nothing in it (no gcc, no sygwin,
no nothing)

I'm not sure about 98 ... I use XP, and I think other people are mostly using
2000 or NT

You need to read the README.MinGW file in the Documentation subdirectory of the
GNUstep make package.  This will tell you where to get everything.

You should work with the latest code from CVS.

Also, what's the difference between cygwin and MinGW?

Technically, Cygwin is primarily a unix emulation layer, wheras MinGW is a thin layer of function stubs and headers etc, designed to let code use the windoze
libraries pretty directly.

As far as licensing goes, anything linked with cygwin becomes GPL'd, wheras MinGW
permit you to keep your source code private.

Cygwin also comes with a unix-like development enviuronment, which can be used
to build software wither with the cygwin libraries or the mings stuff.

MinGW has a similar (more lightweight) environment called MSYS

The documentation tells you how to build GNUstep using MinGW and MSYS ... this is
simpler and needs smaller downloads than going the cygwin route.