Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:44:54 +0100

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 12:51 AM, Frédéric wrote:

Hi!

A few month ago, we had a discussion about GNUstep backend implementation and about the opportunity to use or not OpenGL as the low level rendering engine. Apple has recently anounced that the next MacOSX release (code named Jaguar) will be using intensively OpenGL for Quartz rendering (including 2D graphics
like "Genius effect" for the Desktop). See
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/ for details.

Does this changes the GNUstep team position with respect to OpenGL possible
usage in GNUstep-gui backend?

When we discussed it at FOSDEM earlier this year, I think we agreed that OpenGL would probably be a good/best way to go. Adams recent work on simplifying and separating out backend components is a major step in the direction of making
an OpenGL based backend easier to implement.
I don't know if he (or anyone else) actually plans to work on writing one, but
general policy is that such contributions would be strongly welcomed.